Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bye 2013


After the success of my blog while I was in Japan, I thought I would try something for 2014. I've decided that I am going to try and blog about what is going on in my life. I'll warn you now that I will use the blog for whatever I see fit for, whether that be expressing super happy thoughts or complaining about the struggles I face. I figure the best way to start off the blog is to reflect on the year 2013. 

2013 seemed like a crazy roller coaster ride that never wanted to end. I started out the year in a very crazy awkward spot. I had been accepted into a study abroad in Japan so I didn't take classes at Tech during the Spring. This may seem like loads of fun but really, it sucked because my friends were all busy with their classes and I had nothing but time. During this time, I also started my first college relationship with one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Besides work and the relationship, the first couple months of the year were pretty quiet. 

Then in March, I started my study abroad in Japan. It was definitely going to be the biggest test of my strength as I had never been that far away and on my own before. The hardest part was saying goodbye to everything I knew. I left behind friends and family and headed halfway around the world. I struggled the first couple weeks that I was overseas. It was hard adjusting to a new life and I missed everything I had back home. I eventually got adjusted to life overseas and even decided to try something new -- kickboxing. To this day, I think that was the best decision I made while in Japan. I miss the people I met at kickboxing so much and I hope to visit them again one day. It was only after I finally thought I was getting used to things when my relationship back home fell apart. I wouldn't say it necessarily surprised me but I really wish I could have made it work at the time. After that happened, I tried to regain focus on the exchange, but I honestly had no desire to be in Japan anymore; I just wanted to go home and be with people who knew me better and could help me move forward. On top of this, I found friendships back home began falling apart at the same time. I felt that everything was out of control and I had no say in what was happening. I decided it would be beneficial for me to go get counseling while finishing out my exchange. It helped me pick myself back up and get through the remainder of the exchange. Though it was a rough exchange, there were still plenty of good memories I have. I met so many great people and had lots of fun adventures that I wouldn't replace for anything. I look forward to getting back to Japan at some point in the future. Getting back....  

Upon returning back home in August, I honestly wasn't sure how I was going to survive this semester. Now that I look back on this semester, I still am not sure how I survived. I've had many of my friendships tested -- some have passed and flourished, while others have struggled and diminished. I've made some of the toughest decisions I've ever made and I've had to pay the consequences. However, not all was bad. I had a blast getting to serve as a Uniforms Lieutenant for the GTMB. It allowed me to meet literally everyone in the band and brought some great stories for friends to hear. I was promoted to Front Desk Manager at the GT Student Center. I am now having the chance to serve as an INTA ambassador and promote the unique program that I have grown to love. I was honored to serve as a VET for the second year in a row and humbled to be named "Best Damn Vet" at the end of it all. 

Now as the year is wrapping up, I've learned several things about myself. First, I learned how strong I am. This hasn't been a year where everything has gone how I wanted it and I felt that most of the time, I was fighting an uphill battle. However, despite the trials and tribulations, I got back up every time. It may have taken a couple minutes, hours, days, or weeks, but I never gave up on myself. I kept fighting because I knew I could survive. Next, I finally determined my level of tolerance of other people's crap. While completing my study abroad, I realized who I could go to for support and who was just there to hear themselves talk. I'm no longer a doormat nor am I going to let people walk all over me. I know that I am worth it and that the people I want to be surrounded by appreciate what I have to offer. Finally, I've started figuring out who I am. I feel that when the chaos of life picks up, it is easy to get lost in who you are as an individual. I've worked on taking a step back and letting life run it's course as opposed to trying to control every thing that happens. I've learned that it is impossible to predict every last scenario and how it will play out. Sometimes, it's just better to play your cards and see what happens. 

I can't imagine that next year will be any crazier than this past year has been. I look forward to whatever the upcoming year has in store and am ready for some new, crazy adventures. 

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment